She also had a blast chasing the guesthouse dogs around, none of them would let her even get close...must have been so frustrating:) Even with 2 naps, she was so wiped out by dinner time, we could barely keep her awake to eat. Meanwhile, J and I were trying to stay up a little later to get back on track with sleep. They say if you can keep yourself up until night time you will adjust much faster, the trick is...keeping yourself awake! We again all woke up around 3am. It was such a strange feeling to be so wide awake in the middle of the night! By the time the others in the house would wake up for breakfast, we were ready to go back to bed, but we fought the urge and went out to see more of Jakarta and experience some more culture! We went to another indoor mall place, but this time, more traditional of Indonesia. It was fun! We got a few good deals and tried some new food.
Avocado & chocolate milkshake, I was not a fan, but Ken seemed to enjoy it:) J and I trying some new Indonesian food, and this last picture was just odd to me. They have 4 different large, electronic animals that you can pay to ride around the mall, like a pony ride!:) The Plett's wanted to pay for Eden to go, but she was scared to death!
The last night we were there, J and I were able to make it until 4:30 am when the Muslim call to prayer went off and Eden slept through it!!! She even slept until 7:30! Very encouraging. We didn't see much of Jakarta, from what I hear it is VERY large, but it was good to relax, not having anytime restraints, get adjusted to our new time zone and culture, get to know the Plett's a little, and catch up on the internet. We were able to skype a few times which was fun too. All in all, besides being in a tired fog, we all did great and Eden was adjusting BEAUTIFULLY! Praising the Lord for where He brought us, how He brought us and how gracious He is.
We had a flight out of Jakarta Friday afternoon at 1pm, but we sat in a hot, crowded terminal until 3, not being able to understand the announcements or what was going on...this was only the beginning of not being able to understand or communicate the country's language. We already had noticed we were the minority, but being "deaf/dumb" in this place didn't help us feel any more secure. Our security was for sure in the Lord because as we would see, over the next little while, we were immersed in a language and culture we did not know. That has been my culture shock, not being able to communicate with people. That and a few others things I will tell you about later. We finally boarded the very warm plane and headed to Semarang to meet some people who were picking us up for our final destination! When we arrived in Semarang, we went to do official government details and then did a little bit of shopping for our new house that evening, things such as silverware, towels, pillows and a few other household items we knew we needed and are hard to find here. We FINALLY arrived at our home here (won't mention the city at this time because I am still a little nervous about the web) at 10pm....very strange feeling, let me tell you! To travel for almost a week, being on the other side of the world in this foreign country, arriving at our own HOUSE, after YEARS of preparation and plans, living in tiny apartments here and there near family...it is hard to explain, but I just felt too young and irresponsible for this...we were all alone(not ALL alone, we had friends here and other westerners, but at that moment), at night in our house in Indonesia, that we had never seen before! Haha...I just stood on the porch like "really?!?!?!".
Now the other thing is we did not have our bags yet, so all we had were our carry-on's and the borrowed things we needed to survive for a couple weeks until we could get buy our own. Someone had come and set up our bed for us, some food items and a few other things, it was very nice. Now...to fall asleep...yea. We were officially in a little bit of culture shock and were trying to feel comfortable enough to go to bed. We survived of course!:) I am going to cut this post off because it is sooo long, but I will continue to tell what I remember from moving here and hopefully there are some who will enjoy LOTS of details, I know I do, but I am sure J is cringing, hehe! These will get shorter too as I catch up!
I realized I didn't have any pictures of Eden on this post...can't let that happen, lol! My commitment to you, I will try to always have at least 1 picture of Eden on each post, b/c a post is not a post w/o a picture of our little sunshine!:)
1 comment:
Bri...loved every detail! I will be checking in to keep up to date! Praying for you guys...
Emily Steele
Post a Comment