I thought I would do a simple, funny one today. Warning, this content is not for the weak-stomached! I suppose it is not the best idea to show you these things so early on, I could lose a lot of readers doing this! Or maybe there are those of you who are curious (like me) to see such a thing! My dad would say I am gross, hehe! Maybe you should not read this before a mealtime, the pictures will NOT make you hungry, in fact, they may have the opposite affect...good for appetite control.:)We went to the Pasar or the market...great place, you can get lots of fruit and veggies there, but there are also some disturbing images. We found the section that has chicken, not like your average American grocery store I assure you. I am absolutely positive it would violate most health code inspections, if not all. Everything is supposedly fresh in the morning, but these chickens will sit out all day (heat, flies, motorcycle traffic within feet) not sure what is done with them if they are not sold that day, that's what makes me worry! Keep in mind as you see the chicken selection...it gets worse!

This is how all the chicken is lied out, on tables

Whole chickens

Headless chickens

All kinds of appetizing parts of the chickens

Chicken feet, not to be mistaken with the game!
The beef section is what about sent me over the edge and drove me closer than I have ever been to wanting to become a vegetarian here! The pictures are gross, but they are inadequate in giving you the full picture with the other sensories, such as the SMELL on a hot day (keep in mind, we were there at lunch time, they set up very early in the morning) and the feeling of walking on a sticky, nasty floor...I won't go into any more detail! I just about had a panic attack as I watched all these women handling the raw meat so carelessly and the unsanitary conditions! My friend told me that she went one time with her newborn baby and these ladies were wanting to hold him!!! NO WAY! I am so glad we did not have Eden with us for this excursion! It was a little much for me and I could not have gone in there with Eden running around! I also found it amusing that J was excited to find some meat for steaks...what?!?!?! This place made me want to never eat beef again! He was recommended to go early in the morning as it is fresher then. Part of the reason he was so excited was because he learned that steaks will be around the same price as any other part of the cow, they are not pricier here like back home.

So here is what I saw when I 1st walked in...

Cow stomach lining and intestines, I was told "it tastes good!"-no thank you, I am not Andrew Zimmern or that adventurous!!!

MMM, so many options

The possibilities are endless, really!

No words...

As we were leaving we found some other parts...there they were! I was looking for them, thought about buying one for the dog-KIDDING!
So as you read this and eat your hamburgers and steaks in America, be thankful and enjoy them for us!
5 comments:
My mom just pointed out to me that I forgot to include that promised picture of Eden each time! Whoops, sorry folks, I am going to have to pull an Obama:/
Briana, I thank the Lord for the invention of saran wrap and foil! Hope you never need to get a cookbook on how to make chickenhead casserole or intestine meatballs. ewww lol. 1st time I saw your blog. Now I cant wait to see whats next for your family. :O)
At first I thought my level of respect for you could not get any higher when I realized you were actually moving to another country. And now this! :) You've got to be one strong woman, Briana! Love your blog! Thanks for the glimpse into your life! :)
Bri, I laughed when I read your blog and saw the pics. I remember those sights and smells well from when I was there. I loved noodles more than ever after that and I didn't eat any meat except for the neighbor's chicken while there. Keep the stories coming.I told you to prepare for that!! :) You're the best....Love you. Mama Sara
Thanks for the comments, guys! No chicken head casserole in the future, I hope! Megan, I am a strong WILLED woman:) So whatever other strength I have is definitely from the Lord! Your blog is so well written, I am sure you have a gift in journaling:)
Post a Comment